Looking for some fun books to read with your child that tell positive and inspiring LGBTQ+ stories? Community Ambassador, Whitney Brooks shares her favorite books that explore these topics below. As you’ll see, some books are more subtle than others when it comes to LGBTQ+ topics, and some focus on gender identity, which can sometimes be most challenging to explain to young children. Remember, you can read these books to your children every month of the year, not only in June.
- And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson & Peter Parnell
- I Am Jazz by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings
- Julián is a Mermaid by Jessica Love (there’s also a follow up called Julián at the Wedding)
- Red: A Crayon’s Story by Michael Hall
- Heather Has Two Mommies by Lesléa Newman
- It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity by Theresa Thorn
- Introducing Teddy: A Gentle Story About Gender and Friendship by Jessica Walton
- Love Makes A Family by Sophie Beer
- Not Quite Narwhal by Jessie Sima
- Annie’s Plaid Shirt by Stacy B. Davids
- When Aiden Became a Brother by Kyle Lukoff
Learn more about how to get the conversation started with a few tips in this video.